Ruby Course ' 2018
We at #pivorak believe that knowledge should be shared.
This summer we are gathering a group of experienced Ruby developers to teach a 2-month intensive Ruby & Ruby on Rails course to a class of (almost) complete beginners.
Yes, for the second year in a row, we are launching our free #pivorak Ruby Summer Course.
Last year was a great success: out of 139 students that applied we have selected the best 25 to complete the course. At the end,
71% of graduates went from not having a job to finding one in top IT companies in Lviv.
Course start date: June 5
Duration of the course: 2 months
Test task announcement date: 7 May
Test task submission deadline: 27 May
Interviews: 28 May - 3 June
Final list of participants announced: 4 June
P.S. These dates may change slightly
The course is structured into two parts:
First month: theory
During this part you will have two lectures per week, all after 6pm on work days. You will also be expected to complete a homework assignment after each lecture and spend a considerable amount of time self-studying recommended material.
Second month: practice
Once the theoretical part is over, you will be split into groups of 3 to 5 people, each assigned a skilled mentor. You will be expected to complete a practical project by collaborating with your group online and meeting offline 1-2 times per week.
What to expect from the course
- Developers for developers. You will be taught by experienced Ruby developers from 6 different IT companies in Lviv.
- Lots of new information and an intensive schedule: weekly lectures and homework assignments, practical workshops, working in teams to complete a project task.
- Support from the community. This isn’t just a course - our goal is to create a community that will grow together from knowing the basics of Ruby and setting up the coding environment to finishing and delivering a project by working in a team of peers. You will get support from mentors as well as fellow students. Remember: this is an offline course, which means live discussions, effective troubleshooting, and lots of positive energy!
- Job opportunities. We can’t guarantee that you will find a job after completing the course, but during the course we will introduce you to many IT companies that hire Ruby developers. Many of these companies are actively looking at our students, which means you might even get a job offer long before the course is over.
This course is for you if:
- You have basic knowledge of object-oriented programming and databases
- Logical thinking is your strong suit
- You have tried to study Ruby or another programming language on your own before
- You can already write simple Ruby code like below:
- You have a Macbook or are able to install Linux on your laptop before the course starts (or you know how to run a web server on your favorite operating system)
This course is not for you if:
- You are not sure why you want to study Ruby and RoR
- You cannot dedicate two months of your time to this course
- You don't have a GitHub account and not able to create one before the course begins
- You couldn’t figure out what the code snippet in the example above does
- You've been coding in another language for several years but would like to switch to Ruby (Why not? If you are already proficient in another language - we believe you can easily master a new one on your own. This course will likely be too easy for you.)
Have more questions about the course? Please visit our FAQ section.